Want to build a great business blog but don’t know where to start? Consider these nine tips to help get you on your way.
1. Blog daily if possible, or at least a few times a week.
2. Understand your reader/audience. When preparing every post, think about who you want to read it and what you want them to take away from it.
3. Give voices to as many people in your company as possible.
4. Edit your blog meticulously; spelling and grammar mistakes reflect badly on your company.
5. Use art elements and video judiciously.
6. Connect with social networks when relevant.
7. Listen to your customers: An emailed question from a current client or a prospective one can make great material for a blog post.
8. Resist the urge to pander: You can get lots of traffic to your business blog by writing about the Kardashians, but are these the readers you want? There is such a thing as “good traffic” and “bad traffic,” and the more “bad traffic” you get, the more you turn off “good traffic” readers.
9. Think about your blog’s goals. Do you just want to build big page view numbers? Or do you have real business ends in mind? Do you want to make big-ticket sales? Become seen as a leader in the industry? Get invited to speak at conferences? Metrics are important, but page views aren’t everything.